History of the OWA
The Old Scholars’ Association
Extract from The Manchester Warehousemen & Clerks’ Orphan Schools, Cheadle Hulme. The Annual Report 1899-1903.
"In 1893 an Association of "Old Boys" who had passed through the Schools was formed, and has been steadily progressing, until it now comprises over 200 members.
The Association aims at fostering a friendly regard for the principles on which the parent Institution is founded, and strives to maintain and consolidate the valuable friendships made during the connection of school life. It further desires to keep within touch all ‘’Old Boys’’ who may have been living in foreign countries, and offers them a kindly welcome back to the old Homeland.
The Association is managed by a Committee of "Old Boys", elected annually from the general body of members.
The programme includes Social, Literary, and Recreative functions. A Picnic and Sports in summer, at Cheadle Hulme. A Dinner, and two or three Re-Unions in the city, or suburbs, during the winter months. Sessional meetings of the Literary and Debating Society. A Shakesperian Reading Society, a Cycling and a Lacrosse Club. The honorary secretary is Mr. G.W. Hayward, Queen’s Drive, Heaton Mersey.
Three years ago an Association of the "Old Girls" was formed on similar lines, and it promises to be equally successful. Miss E. Hirst, 69 Ducie Grove, C.-on-M., is the honorary secretary."
Timeline – A History of The Old Waconians’ Association
The Old Boys’ Association is founded at the Manchester Athenaeum Club.
The first Old Waconians’ Summer Fete, Reunion and Sports Day is held at School.
The Old Girls’ Association is founded in Manchester.
The Old Waconians’ Lacrosse Club is founded.
James Buckley, Chairman of the Association, unveils the sundial in memory of former scholars who died in the First World War.
Inauguration of the Old Waconians’ Educational Fund to support former scholars in their careers.
An Old Scholars’ Memorial Service is held.
Seven Old Waconians achieve places in the Olympic Lacrosse team.
The Old Waconian Memorial Fund is launched.
The Diamond Jubilee of the Old Boys’ Association is celebrated with a dinner held at the Engineers’ Club in Manchester.
On 27th April the Old Boys’, the Old Girls’ and the Junior Sections of the Association merge to form The Old Waconians’ Association.
The Old Waconians’ Memorial Pavilion is built.
The 50th Anniversary of the Old Waconians’ Lacrosse Club is celebrated.
The Old Waconians’ Reunion and Parents’ Fete Day are combined for the first time.
The ‘Girls’ stained glass window in the Dining Room is restored.
The Old Waconians’ Association celebrate their Centenary.
A new Archive Room, named in recognition of the work of Mr David Goodison in preserving the Archive, is opened with the help of the Old Waconians’ Association.
Members of The Old Waconians’ Association agree to a proposal by the School that all former pupils and staff automatically become members of the Association and that subscription is FREE.
An Exhibition Match is held at School to celebrate the Centenary of the Manchester Waconians’ Lacrosse Club.
The Amended Constitution, which follows the signing, in 2010, of the Memorandum of Agreement, is presented to the members of the Old Waconians' Association, and its adoption is voted upon. Sheila Kenyon steps down as President after serving in this role since 1992, and being involved with the Old Scholars’ Associations (in various guises) since she left School in 1950.
An Amended Constitution is presented to Old Waconians at the June AGM, and its adoption voted upon. The Constitution replaces the Old Waconians' Association Committee with an Alumni Board. The Board is representative of the School’s Old Waconian community in terms of age group, geographical location, interests and experience.