Travelling to Cheadle Hulme School
Cheadle Hulme School stands proud and prominent at the heart of 83 acres of School grounds; tucked away between the A34 Wilmslow-Handforth Bypass, Heathbank Road, Hulme Hall Road and Gillbent Road.
The School benefits from three access points:
- For the school-run, visiting sports teams, evening events or holiday clubs - School Lane Entrance (postcode SK8 6EF but use SK8 6LY on your satnav and continue past Woodlands Close)
- For organised visits and daytime deliveries - Claremont Road Entrance (SK8 6EG)
- For weekend lettings and dropping off - Gym Car Park (also SK8 6EG off Claremont Road).
The overall intention of our Travel Plan is to encourage a safer, healthier and greener travel by putting an emphasis on a pedestrian-friendly and vehicle-free campus and reducing congestion on neighbouring roads by promoting walking, cycling and using coach/public transport for journeys.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for any more information on travelling to CHS: firstname.lastname@example.org / 0161 488 3330.
Travel by Coach / Bus / Minibus
Student Coach Services
As parking in School is very limited, we recommend the student coach service as a way for most of the senior students to travel to School. The network reaches out to Macclesfield, Knutsford, Wilmslow, Hale, Altrincham, Sale, Chorlton, Didsbury, Hyde, and Marple.
The student coaches are offered independently of Cheadle Hulme School by Elite Services - a local company based near the Pointing Dog in Cheadle Hulme. Arrangements for its services will need to be made directly with Elite's School Transport team (0161 480 0617 or email@example.com) who can help you find the best option to fit in with busy lifestyles and after-school activities.
Many students benefit from a variety of after-school activities; there is also the option of a late bus which leaves School at 5.15pm. If you are interested in this please speak to Elite Services so it can gauge the journeys to your area.
A number of public service buses also operate in the local area, the nearest public bus stops are on Church Road and Gillbent Road which is a 4½ minute walk from the School Lane entrance. More information about these services can be found here, or on the Transport for Greater Manchester website. These services are out of the control of Cheadle Hulme School; please check with individual operators for service updates.
Coaches and minibuses can drop students and visiting teams off in our Coach Drop-off/Pick-Up Area (using the intercom on the gate). Cars are prohibited from using this area; coaches/minibuses can only make use of this facility between 8am and 6pm on any day.
If you would like to discuss any aspect of student travel please contact our Senior Operations Manager who is responsible for the service level agreement with Elite Services and for promoting the initiatives within our Travel Plan.
Cheadle Hulme railway station is on the Manchester Piccadilly to Crewe & Stoke-on-Trent rail lines and is approximately a 12-minute walk away from School. Click here to view a map of the public pathways between the station and School.
The most direct route to walk is via the public footpath linking Heathbank Road with Waitrose by going past Hesketh Park or Haslemere Drive; alternatively using Mellor Road to reach Swann Lane and joining Hulme Hall Road or a quieter route via Hill Top Avenue towards Upton Avenue (please see the map below). Students from Cheadle Hulme School and also Cheadle Hulme High School frequently walk these routes at peak school-run times.
The 42B and 313 public bus services go via Cheadle Hulme railway station and the other public services dropping off in the local area pick up from other local train stations – including East Didsbury, Bramhall, Hazel Grove, Davenport, Handforth and Stockport railway stations. For more information about using public bus services from train stations see the local public bus coverage below.
Travel by Car
- For organised visits, please use the Claremont Road entrance (postcode SK8 6EG). Parking is available at the front of our Main Building, including accessible spaces.
- For driving pupils to School, please use the drop-off area at the School Lane entrance (use postcode SK8 6EF) and make use of the park and walk spaces. This area becomes congested at peak times and we ask that everyone be patient and considerate to others. Alternatively there is a drop-off and pick-up zone at our Gym Car Park off Claremont Road.
- For sports fixtures, please use the School Lane entrance. Parking is limited during the School day so you may need to park off-campus and walk in. There are council-run car parks 9 minutes’ walk away on Mellor Road (SK8 5AZ) and 8 minutes’ walk away on Church Road / Woods Lane (SK8 7JU).
CHS Car Share
Where possible we encourage anyone coming to School to share lifts; it's a great way to "buddy up" and make new friends. Car-sharing is also economical, good for the environment and could significantly reduce traffic congestion - resulting in shorter journeys for everyone.
Car-sharing is simply when two or more people share a car and travel together. It can be as formal or informal as you like. We operate a pupil/parent scheme as well as a separate staff scheme. Pupils cannot travel with staff as part of the scheme.
Only you can decide who you are happy to travel with. It is advisable to check all the legal driving documents, such as driving licence, car insurance, MOT and car tax, whether you know the driver or not.
Park & Stride
Park up or drop off/pick up at the Hesketh (SK8 6JZ) between 8-8.40am and 2.45-3.45pm. Enjoy the benefits avoiding the congestion and the short walk along Hulme Hall Road to the school crossing at the junction with Claremont Road.