Cheadle Hulme School has a long and proud history of innovation and philanthropy. It was founded in 1855 as the Manchester Warehousemen and Clerks’ Orphan Schools to provide education and a ‘home’ for children of local workers whose deaths had left their families in need of support.
It welcomed girls and boys, from all religious denominations – laying the foundations of the co-educational, inclusive, altruistic School that CHS is today.
More than 160 years has passed since the first six children came through the doors of that new boarding school, but CHS retains the same commitment to its students – to educate, nurture and prepare them for fulfilling and successful lives.
Our former students are known as ‘Old Waconians’ in tribute to the Warehousemen and Clerks (WACs) who founded the School.
To find out more about our history, click here.