U10 Football Champions of AJIS Cup

The CHS U10 Football team were victorious at the AJIS Cup on Friday 31 January at Manchester Metropolitan University’s sport complex on Platt Lane. Despite the very wet and cold conditions the Waconian spirit shone through as the boys showed endeavour, resilience and contribution. Team CHS managed a convincing win against Bury Grammar School in their opening game. Lees controlled the game from midfield with Savage, Stott(2) and Galassi all getting on the score card, whilst Sillitoe kept a clean sheet  for a convincing 4 – 0 win.

The weather was at its worst for second game against The Grange. Brako & Savage put in a strong performance at the back to keep the opposition out of the CHS half, meanwhile the forwards kept testing the Grange keeper until McGrath got on the end of a superb cross from Stott to secure a 1-0 victory.

For the final group game CHS faced St Mary’s Crosby. The team were now well into the flow of the afternoon and playing extremely well. McGrath managed an outstanding back heel in at the back post from across for the first goal. For the second Stott benefited from some excellent link up play between Brako, Watt & Galassi before he calmly put the ball into the top corner.

After topping the group CHS faced Kings Chester in the semi-final, their U11s recently knocking CHS out of the U11 AJIS Football Cup. It was a nervy start as CHS took some time to adapt to Kings’ powerful forwards driving forward whilst maintaining possession.  After some tactical alterations CHS returned to their way of playing; Lees & Savage picking out McGrath & Pimlott on the wings who were in turn able to provide Stott (3) with the ball in the danger zone. A lapse in focus and communication from a restart saw Kings get on the scoresheet, but it wasn’t enough to start a comeback, 3-1 CHS.


St Bede’s v CHS in the final…

By this stage everyone was soaked to the skin and games were being kept to 12 minutes instead of the planned 14. The opening minutes showed frequent exchanges of possession before Savage broke the deadlock to put CHS 1-0 up. Cheadle then became more confident and started to press, the Bede’s keeper managed to parry a well taken shot from McGrath but Watt followed in with a magical touch to beat the diving goalie, 2-0. The excellent defence from Brako, Galassi and Savage held out for the most part with CHS only conceding one goal from Bede’s star centre midfield player. CHS by this point were running riot and St Bede’s clearly feeling the effects of a long wet morning. More great interplay between Lees, Pimlott, McGrath and Watt led to Stott getting his second hat trick of the afternoon and some individual brilliance from McGrath saw CHS finish 6-1 winners.

All players were excellent throughout the afternoon, a true team performance from numbers 1-9, and they should be proud of their contribution to CHS football as well as their victory in this event. 

Mr Cartwright said: “The boys played some excellent football in challenging conditions, they rotated well, playing out of position at times to get the best out of the squad. We could not be prouder of the way they have represented the School.”